© All rights reserved
On January 18, 1913, ground was broken for the Social Hall, now called the Fellowship Hall. This was sponsored by the Ladies Aid. It was built as one oblong room with the kitchen across the east end of the building and having entrances to the kitchen both front and back.
The late Thomas W. Buchman remembered it in the following manner:
After the foundation was erected, they decided to have a concrete floor. So the entire interior of the foundation was filled with stone from Uncle Billy Allgire's stone fence. It took tons and tons to fill it, and the stones on top had to be broken up so that the floor would be level. After that, the concrete floor was poured. When it was all finished, the ladies of the church complained that the floor was so cold that they couldn't stand having such cold feet - so a wooden floor was laid.
In order to help pay the debt on the building, many fund raising activities were held, as we see from the 1915Hampstead Enterprise newspaper.
December 4, 1915 - Measuring social at Wesley Social Hall, by Ladies' Aid Society of Wesley M. E. Church. Charge: Two cents per foot and one cent for each inch over seven feet. Lunch free. Candy and Ice Cream on Sale.
The hall was used for many years as a place for suppers and social affairs. When Wesley Chapel burned in 1920 it was used as a place of worship for more than two years until the new church was ready for use. Again, in 1965 it was used for worship services while the present sanctuary was being remodeled. Today it is used for public suppers, fellowship dinners, family reunions, receptions, special programs, banquets, Boy Scout meetings, and Adult Church School classes.
In 1947 a large addition was made to the hall for a kitchen with modern equipment and a porch was added. This addition permitted a larger area for use in the main room. Earl Belt was the contractor. It was at this time that water was first pumped into the church and hall. Two large oil heaters were used for heat. In 1953 the porch was enclosed and a basement was excavated under the kitchen and porch. Other equipment was added, painting done, Formica tops put on counters, and two stainless steel double sinks installed.
In 1960 the hall was remodeled by the contributions and work of the people. The walls were covered with knotty pine, modern rest rooms were added, and the ceiling was covered with acoustical tile. A kitchenette was provided in the corner to take care of water and beverage service at suppers and social events, a new furnace was installed and four folding doors were purchased to divide the area into classrooms for Church School and Youth Fellowship.
Improvements made during the mid-1960s included mounting bulletin boards, installing coat racks, the erection of a worship center and background, and the provision of a lectern and the cross for use on the worship center. The Worship Center was designed and built by Rev. Ira Shindle. In October 1965, a new roof was put on over the kitchen addition.
After the Educational Building was added, the hall was reshingled and painted gray to blend with the new building. A public address system was installed to be used especially for public suppers.
An estimate of $27,500 was quoted in October 1983 to pour footings and cover all exposed old bricks and shingles on the hall, kitchen, and porch with split rock similar in color and texture to the educational building. An estimate of $8,550 was quoted to replace ten windows with Andersen casement double pane windows and two exterior doors with Stanley metal doors and screens. The work was done in March 1984 at a total cost of $36,395.46.
The Fellowship Hall- Built 1913